Your Retirement Health Savings Plan
Claims must be filed within two years of service date.
MissionSquare Retirement's VantageCare Retirement Health Savings (RHS) Program helps you build assets for medical expenses before you leave service on a tax-free basis. Retirees are increasingly responsible for growing medical costs, including out-of-pocket expenses associated with Medicare. The RHS program enables you to prepare in advance for these costs.
As a City of Anaheim RHS Plan participant, you are eligible to receive reimbursement for "Qualified Medical Expenses" under your RHS Plan.
Medical expenses available for reimbursement through the RHS Plan are defined as and may include:
- Costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and the costs for treatments affecting any part or function of the body.
- Payments for legal medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists, and other medical practitioners, which may include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes.
- Medical care expenses primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental defect or illness. Eligible expenses do not include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation.
- Out-of-pocket expenses - e.g. medical or dental insurance deductibles and copayments, or any other out-of-pocket medical expense that qualifies under IRC Section 213(d) with the exception of direct long term care expenses.
- Premiums you pay for insurance that covers the expenses of medical care, and the amounts you pay for transportation to get medical care, which include amounts paid for qualified long-term care services and limited amounts paid for any qualified long-term care insurance contract.
- Other medical expenses that may not be covered by a health insurance plan (e.g., vision, prescription drug, acupuncture, home health care, nursing home expenses, nursing services, organ transplants, therapy as a medical treatment, durable medical equipment, home improvements made to accommodate the home for a disabled condition, and any other retiree medical expense deductible under IRC Section 213(d).
- The Management/Confidential unrepresented group are eligible to use RHS assets for qualified health insurance premiums such as medical, dental, vision, Medicare Part B, and specific dollar amounts for Long Term Care.
*Please consult IRS Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses, on the IRS website for a thorough discussion of the types of expenses that qualify under your RHS Plan. Also, these guidelines are subject to change with any changes to IRS regulations or to the City's Plan Document.
RHS participants are eligible to receive reimbursement for "Qualified Medical Expenses" under your City of Anaheim RHS Plan. MissionSquare Retirement works with Meritain Health, the third-party administrator that handles your RHS claim reimbursement requests. Please read these instructions carefully before submitting a reimbursement request.
Reimbursements can be submitted daily either by online, mail or fax, within two years of service. Supporting documentation must be provided with each request. Supporting documentation for expenses include: Explanation of Benefits, Premium Notices, Receipts, or Itemized Bills. All documentation must include the patient's name, date(s) of service, service provided, insurance payment if applicable, and total patient out-of-pocket amount.
Complete the online Claims Entry Submission Form (see instructions below). Print the confirmation page and fax or mail the confirmation page along with supporting documentation to Meritain Health.
- Log into your MissionSquare Retirement account using your Account Access User ID and Password. If you do not have one, click Request an Initial Password.
- Next, click My Account View and select RHS Claims in the dropdown menu.
- At the RHS Claims welcome screen, select Submit your RHS Claims.
- Click Select next to the account from which you wish to be reimbursed.
- Enter the information in the submission form:
Service from date: The date of service or beginning of a multi-day service
Service to date: The date of service or end of a multi-day service.
Amount: Enter in dollars and cents (e.g., $160.48).
Claimant: The person the service is for.
Provider: The company providing the service.
- Select Enter Claim.
- Review and confirm the claim information entered.
- Electronically "Sign" your form by selecting a submission method and entering your Social Security Number. Print the confirmation page and return along with supporting documentation to Meritain Health. All documentation for online claims must be received by Meritain Health within 30 days of claim submission. Any claims unsubstantiated after 30 days will be denied.
Mail the completed VantageCare RHS Benefits Reimbursement Request Form, along with supporting documentation, to Meritain Health at:
VantageCare RHS Plan, c/o Meritain Health
P.O. Box 30136
Lansing MI 48909-7611
Fax the completed VantageCare RHS Benefits Reimbursement Request Form, along with supporting documentation, to Meritain Health at 1-888-665-8495.
- Pre-tax premiums are not eligible for reimbursement. Eligible after-tax insurance premiums include: Health/Medical, Dental, Vision, and Long Term Care.
- Recurring reimbursements can be set up monthly or quarterly as requested. A reimbursement form must be sent for any premium amount changes or to end a recurring reimbursement.
- Claims must be filed within two years of service date.
Reimbursement inquiries: If you need information concerning your reimbursement requests, contact Meritain Health at 888 587-9441.
Balance inquiries: If you have questions about your RHS account balance or want to check the status of your reimbursement requests, you can do so online by logging in using your Account Access User ID and Password.